Saturday 19 November 2011

Dar Es Salaam I


I'd never been to Africa before so it was a trip into the unknown. I was essentially going to visit a friend who was temporarily working in Malawi but we were to meet in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania as we would then be able to go on a little trip. The little trip was partially "organised" while I was away on holiday elsewhere1 and partially over the last few days in London, but all I really needed to know was the hotel to meet at as my friend was sorting a lot of it out.

The flight, on Kenya air via Nairobi was pretty uneventful although I had bought a Nintendo 3DS in the airport so I played a little super Mario land 3D2 which used up some time.
The airport in Dar is not particularly large so I got out fairly rapidly and looked for transport. I was pretty naively thinking that I'd be able to get into town on the bus, so I waited. It was an unsuccessful wait so after a while I got a cab to take me to the hotel.


The hotel [link] was in an area called Kariakoo but, as TC3 was to be my guide, rather lazily I'd not found out too much. He was due to arrive a few hours later and I was tired so I thought an effective and efficient use of time would be to have a nap so I'd be alert when he arrived and we went out. It is that fun-loving nature that makes me so popular.

It didn't take too long to be awoken (I may have been playing Mario to be fair) by a phone call from TC - and not a good one. He called to say he was stuck in Lilongwe and there were no more flights that day. This was less than ideal.
As it was going to get dark, I did want to see something of Dar that was not just the inside, and outside, of a hotel but at the same time, I was not entirely comfortable with going out alone (I later found out that this caution was wise on my part). I get cabin fever at the best of times but I'd been enclosed since London, essentially so I did go out for a quick walk4 which took maybe 25 mins though I cannot remember much of it. I ate in the hotel as it then became dark - at about 7. This was going to be an early one...5
In many ways, the holiday would really start the next day [link], I would hope...


1. I went to Japan in September, ostensibly for a wedding.
2. An enjoyable game and some of the 3D effects were astonishing.
3. "TC": travelling companion. Where possible, names are avoided unless necessary, or approved.
4. I like to feel some kind of connection with where I'm staying, or going to be which is why i'll often do a scene setting walk and, I recognise in hindsight, I often visit friends in the UK and walk through a town to get to their homes.
5. Actually, I was thankful for the amazing popularity of the Premier League as I watched a few games.

No comments: