Saturday 30 March 2013

Zurich

I'm not sure Zurich has the best of reputations as a tourist location, but it does have trams, and that is as good a way to start a day as any other.
The weather was not particularly great and my hotel was not particularly close to the city centre so I had to plan for my departure and the day in general. I thought I would go into the city centre and walk around there to kill time.
As it was raining and was very cloudy, I have to say that Zurich was not exactly photogenic. It is not a big city anyway, but in the rain when you walk that little bit quicker and more purposefully, I did not see a huge deal of interest. I know this is not a fair judgement as part of the reason was that it was a public holiday of some sort but not the type where people are out and enjoy themselves. instead, most things were just shut. That is less than ideal for tourists.
As a result, I thought I would head off to Üetliberg which is 20 mins from the city centre and is over 850m above sea level. i thought that this would give great views and interesting walks...
I think it would give great views if the visibility is better and it would be lovely for walking if it was not icy and so dangerous. Unfrtunately for me, it was both those things. I still enjoyed the walks but I did feel like I had defied death by the end. Steep, icy paths without steps are not the safest things in the world.
And with that, my trip was over.
Zurich 2013 - click for photo album


Special mention must go to the flights which were in and out of London City airport. A brilliantly efficient service at LCY makes it so much less of a chore than other airports. London City is on the DLR and so is a little harder to get to than other airports but is so much closer in and also so much smaller that the beneffits massively outweigh the drawbacks. My flight in was delayed (due to my first ever aborted take-off) so we landed at LCY at 2155. I was onto the train, with luggage, as 2215! Obviously there were some engineering works once I got to bank, but a great service from LCY. A huge bonus is the landing path too - flying so low over the Thames is a real treat.

No comments: