Friday 29 March 2013

Bernina Express

I had a flight to catch in Zurich in a few days so i thought I would use my rail pass one last time to take the Bernina Express in the opposite direction from St Moritz.
This is a train that goes from St Moritz (well, from Chur) to Tirano which is just over the border in Italy.
In terms of detail, I can't do any better than seat61 again so have a look to see more [link].
Again the route goes very high and then comes down into Italy (and palm trees in the summer!) via the mountains and some amazing architecture (especially the Brusio spiral viaduct).
I had a quick lunch in Tirano (nicer than any food I had in Switzerland actually - and cheaper) and then got the same train all the way back and eventually connected up to Zurich. It was a relaxing journey though and I did get a bit of night time in Zurich though. The weather was, however, terrible. it did not improve.

Bernina 2013 - click for photo album




No comments: