Sunday 24 March 2013

Why Basel?

But why Basel?
My reasons for visiting Switzerland are pretty simple, a spot of scenic travel but that explains nothing about why there? The airport.
I guess faintly appropriate for a trip about travel. In all honesty, I came to Switzerland to travel on the glacier (and some may say glacial) express but I thought I should see some other things too. Looking at the flights, I felt it would make sense to fly in and out of different cities so Zurich and a.n.other. Then I saw Basel airport (or more accurately: EuroAirport Basel–Mulhouse–Freiburg) served three different cities in three different countries. Spurious reasoning, but reasoning nonetheless. I believe the hotel I stayed in was the first hotel in Switzerland...
Basel is not huge but has a good tram and bus network and I always enjoy a spot of public transport on holiday.
Switzerland benefits from its famous neutrality by having retained most of its older architecture although some may say this is a mixed blessing.
My photos from Basel are here.


Basel 2013 - click for photo album


No comments: