Tuesday 26 March 2013

Interlaken but not Jungfraujoch (maiden's ridge...)

The youth hostel showed via a webcam [here] what the weather was like on the "top of Europe" and as the weather was not conducive, I didn't go to the highest railway station in the world. In these situations, I always think I'll go again when I miss something but it is rare to actually do so.

Instead, I went to Grindelwald which was part of the way there (before the train becomes too expensive and wasteful in poor visibility). Once there, I found the tourist information point for a map and had an enjoyable walk. Rather handily, it is quite well signposted but when it started snowing it was a little difficult to see... Well, more difficult than normal.

When I got back to Interlaken, I had a walk from the station along the path to the lake. The water was a truly astonishing colour, something it is difficult to do photographic justice to as it looks a little fake. It was raining at the time which I think almost accentuated the colour as the surroundings were a little grey.

You can actually get an idea of the colour from the photo but it may be clearer on Google maps (link) as of this date as you can see the colour change in the water itself. As it was also raining quite a lot, it wasn't the most exciting walk in the world but still enjoyable.


Grindewald, Interlaken 2013 - click for photo album



No comments: