Saturday 1 June 2013

Solo Travel

This is a follow up from the journey to Surakarta [link]
A lot of my trips are about how to fit elements together and at this point, I knew I wanted to be in Jakarta (airport) on Friday evening for a flight to Penang. I did not think this would be a particularly tricky transition but due to some circumstances to do with traffic and that getting across Jakarta is apparently very time-consuming - a flight to Jakarta from Yogyakarta was decided upon. As it was taking off fairly early, we needed to return to Yogyakarta that night, so it was a short time in Surakarta before the train back to Yogyakarta. To be honest, Solo is not massive so it was alright.
I wanted to visit the Surakarta Kraton and an antique market [a misleading link imo].
The kraton was pretty interesting although smaller than the Yogyakarta equivalent - it had some nice "residential" elements to it with the pool and tour guide.
The antique market was nothing special with it being dark and rickety and not exactly busy. I'm also not sure there were any antiques there - just a load of old stuff like a car boot sale.
Getting back to Yogyakarta, a trip to the main eating area (on JL Malioboro) was less successful this time. I had some crab, which was provided as a crab - and nothing to get to the crab meat. It wasn't that nice, to be honest, and not worth the considerable effort. I did have some Chicken Satay afterwards though (from somewhere else). There was also a brilliant band playing in the street which I really enjoyed with their percussion - it reminded me a little of an analogue Squarepusher.
And with that, Indonesia had been visited. It wasn't meant to end this way, but it did...

NOTE: The photo album is for more than this day - for further posts related to the album, please click through

Surakarta - click for photo album

No comments: