Monday 7 October 2013

Prague (day 2)

Prague Castle
It was the last day, and there was a feeling of finality in the air, although there was also a sense of laziness. I made my way toward the old town again on foot knowing there was a time factor with my flight in the evening and that I probably should have left a little earlier.
Crossing Charles Bridge was a little easier in the morning as there were fewer tourists but still quite a few more than would be ideal. Taking a similar path to the previous day, it got busier and busier as I got closer and in the castle itself it was tremendously busy. I think my motivation at this point was flagging quite a lot and the number of people really put me off. I've no idea what I thought was going to happen, but I then went and had a sit down to return in a few minutes when it was quieter.
And[1], for some reason, it did actually get a bit quieter after I went to another place within the castle area to buy the ticket. The ticket gave access to 4 different places (St. Vitus Cathedral, Old Royal Palace, St. George's Basilica, Golden Lane with Daliborka Tower) which were all pleasant in their own way. The cathedral was stunning, that was obvious, but it just didn't really grab me for some reason and I went through the motions. There are some fairly obvious reasons that it could have been but I could not be sure. My energy levels were poor and the number of tourists was getting me down a bit. I'm not sure it was helped by being the tail end of the trip over all and I was thinking of how to fit things together to get to airport. It also may not have helped that at the end of a week seeing similar (but, in all honesty, not as impressive) buildings had made me a little jaded but I was still a bit disappointed. Was I disappointed in myself or the city?
The last part was in a little section called Golden Lane where there were small shops and a few exhibits about weaponry. At this point, it really felt like a tourist attraction without the sheen and was a bit like a museum shop. Again, I know that it is all touristy but sometimes it feel like they've not quite done enough to hide the curtain (a little like the horses in Vienna).

Lokal to International
I made my way back into town via a view of the Charles Bridge, for a little late lunch at one of the places that had been too busy last night. Klara had directly recommended a place called Lokal so I headed there and was able to get a seat.
At that point, I decided I could probably go to one more place before the metro and bus combination to Prague airport. That place was the Powder Tower which was actually one of the first things I'd seen the day before. It was not too big but it was central and had good views on a clear day. Prague was a pretty city but even now I felt I'd not done it justice and had a bit of buyer's remorse.
I made my way to the airport where I was flying from the non-Schengen[2] terminal back to London on British Airways. I'd flown on BA before, long-haul[3], and not been impressed but I was happy to be on a full service airline again. They treated me with respect and put service front and centre. I had some more things in my bag since I flew into Budapest and so I wanted to put my bag in to the hold and take my camera with me onto the flight. I explained this at check-In as I also had a tripod attached to the bag and was unsure about it. Rather handily, I was told I could take it all on as hand luggage, if I'd prefer, as that would save me time. I did so and was not charged for it, let alone a disproportionate amount as some airlines would do.
The flight was simple enough but I can't deny I was pleased to see London in the night. Sometimes you have to say obvious things, sometimes you forget and sometimes you just have to restate your assumptions. London is massive. It really is. To see the carpet of lights having left a major city really does bring it home how the scale differs.
I do always kind of love coming back and quite ridiculously enjoy the painful journey from Heathrow[4] - I think when that changes for me, something will have changed within me. Until that happens, I'll keep it going.

Prague 2013 day 2 - click for photo album


1. This should not happen should it? Starting a paragraph with a conjunction has to be even worse than starting a sentence in such a way. Well, it has a purpose and I am aware that it is rule breaking – so what could that mean?
2. This is where there is an almost borderless policy between countries in the EU.
3. In 2003, I flew to Toronto and Tokyo and both times the entertainment was a little messed up - annoying for longer flights and even more so in those days.
4. Incidentally, I also used the e-passport gates when returning and it was nice and easy. I was somewhat more beardy than in my photo so was a bit wary of it working, but work it did. Lovely.

No comments: