Wednesday 13 August 2014

[A-Z Games] Q: Q*bert

This is definitely the first game I think of for "Q" but I cannot say I remember playing it when young. Or even when older, but it has a very strong visual style that has stayed with me.
An isometric[1] view in this game gave the illusion of depth using 2D and sprites as ever. With no perspective being used, the isometric view was very clean and easy to see but the bright colours were eye-catching. It still looks pretty cool now. The character, Q*bert, was actually pretty popular and that is what I remember more than the game.
The game itself is a simple case of colouring all of the tiles by walking over them and I would be lying if I had said I had played it much. Does not stop it being memorable for me though!


3 other Q titles that might be interesting:
Quantum Redshift - Microsoft needed to battle Sony with the Xbox project – this was to take on the Wipeout series. Very fast but it felt like a knock-off.
Quake, Doom may have started this, but Quake changed it to be basically modern as even now we would see it.
Quell Memento - Hypnotic and simple puzzler. An example of the time wasting future?


1. Games were bringing a new, technical language to my world and I doubt that I would be using similar words at such a young age had it not been for these games. The main other word I think of like that is parallax which was a magical word in the late 80s/early 90s but means nothing to most people. Parallax scrolling, which is the creation of the illusion of depth by scrolling different background tiles at different speeds was amazing when I was young. Genuinely amazing. Here is an example from Silhouette Mirage [link].

No comments: